A bit of inspiration for my list.

I saw this commercial awhile ago before I made my list. It showed me that there were so many things in life that I may never experience unless I make the effort on my own. And thus my list was created.

Monday, April 7, 2008

#59 - Run a Marathon (or possibly die trying)


So I've started training for my Marathon run. I never really stated which marathon I wanted to in but I think in the back of my mind I was planning to do the LA marathon. 26.2 miles, when ever I think about it the distance just seems insane. So most of the time I just focus on one run at a time.

Now when I say I'm in training I mean I bought new running shoes, a few pieces of running gear, and one morning run at 6am this morning where I completely destroyed myself.

I somehow managed to wake up at 6am but apparently I had forgotten to take something into account. Apparently at this time of the year the sun doesn't rise until around 6:40 so when I got up it was pretty much pitch black outside. It was not all I imagined my morning run to be. I expected to be running while the Sun was rising like I had seen in those running commercials. So that was pretty much a bad sign and it didn't get much better.

The run itself started out OK. Maybe because I was all pumped and ready to ran and also at that moment when I was walking out the door a really fast song started playing on my iPod. So at first I was really looking good and that lasted until halfway through my run. Then things started to go badly. My chest and legs started hurting and I still had to get back to where I began. Now at this point I would later learn I should have slowed down and started walking or just stopped for a minute. But I felt that I had to prove to someone (myself) that I could keep going no matter how much it hurt. Bad Idea. Well I did the entire trip with one run and when I got home I was pretty much destroyed.

My chest was hurting, my legs felt like they were still moving even when I stopped and I was pretty dizzy. Pretty much all around a bad time. When I got to work it wasn't to bad. My chest was still hurting but that had actually been a problem for awhile before my self inflicted pain. And interestingly my legs felt pretty good. However, when I got home the pain in my legs finally caught up with me. Since then my legs have felt pretty stiff.

Tomorrow I'm going to rest up which is actually something I read that was good for training. So that means I'm probably going to try to get a morning "run" on Wednesday. This Wednesday I will attempt to go about my training a whole lot smarter.

Also something else I read was that a good way to stay motivated is to have a running partner but I can't imagine anyone that would want to wake up at 6:30 in the morning to run with me. But if anyone feels so incline to also run a marathon or even just get fitter it would be awesome to have someone to run with. I guess it doesn't have to be 6:30 in the morning but thats pretty much the only time I'm always sure to have the time to run what with work.

No comments: