A bit of inspiration for my list.

I saw this commercial awhile ago before I made my list. It showed me that there were so many things in life that I may never experience unless I make the effort on my own. And thus my list was created.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

# 131 - Final Fantasy III Finished


Well I finally finished it and I'm just going to try to keep this is short as possible because I'm quite tired at the moment.

The game was a lot slower passed then the PSP remakes of the first 2 final fantasies. They didn't really add anything to speed up the battles like holding down the button to repeat the last attack. Also at the end of every battle it would go to a victory screen where it would show awarded EXP and GOLD. At first I thought it was slightly interesting but by the second time it was just annoying having to wait while it loaded the separate screen just to tell me what I earned. And while it doesn't seem that bad because its only an extra few seconds those extra seconds add up quickly when you have to go through hundreds upon hundreds of battles. So even from the start I knew it was going to be an unnecessarily long game.

Other then the general slow pace which I wish would have been updated in the remake it was the pretty standard Final Fantasy affair. 4 light warriors that have to save the world from darkness because the light vs. dark balance is out of wack. The stories not bad but like I said before since it felt so slow it was hard to really care I just wanted it to hurry up.

As I said when I started the game I'm playing on kind of a shotty DS so I took advantage of one of the cheats available on my ROM that allowed me to save when ever I want. Usually you can only save on the overworld map and not in dungeons. So I guess I did cheat a little but I still did all the leveling and getting my ass kicked on my own so I don't feel like it was cheating to much. The reason I bring this up is because one of my friends is also playing the game but she does not have the luxury of my being able to save anywhere I like.

Normally in a RPG this is not a problem because the game designers usually understand that being able to save at certain parts of the game so the player does not become so frustrated at not being able to save after walking around a dungeon for a few hours. Also the designers usually allow you to save before a point of no return area. Well apparently the designers for this one decided to stop caring around the last 3rd of the game. And just become completely masochistic for the last dungeon (or this case tower) of the game.

So let me lay this down for you. You get to this tower and your pretty sure that its probably the last area however you don't know how long it is. Since its a tower you got a pretty good feeling that the boss is not just going to be up the elevator and just to the left. And you would be right. You spend your time fighting through waves of enemies as you trudge your war torn party up and up and up and well you get the idea.

During all this time the party hasn't come across a save point, an inn, a 7 eleven, or even so much as a hot dog vendor. When you finally reach the top you get to the portal to hell (well not hell exactly but large amounts of evil await on the other side). By this point you still haven't been able to save since you started the insane journey up the tower. So at this point your thinking, "Well the designers (or even re-designers since this is a remake) wouldn't have me face large amounts of evil without letting me save or at least warning me that I could never return to this wonderful tower of death".

And you would be wrong.

They let you walk right into the evil face first without so much as batting an eye. And its not until you think, "Hmm maybe I should go back outside of this tower of death so I can save and catch a breather" that you find out that there is no going back. So if you were on the verge of death before entering then you are in so many words "Screwed".

No warning no nothing just punch to the nuts screwed.

So from here you fight more evil except now theres more darkness around. And eventually you get to the last boss who is more then happy to kick your ass and send you back to your last save which you made decades ago outside of the tower.

What a fist full of frustration.

And unless you read the gamefaq you probably had no idea this was coming until it was too late and you were throwing your DS out the nearest window (or a nice hard wall).

But thankfully since I knew my DS was going to be shotty and I took precautions I was able to create saves in the tower. Although it kinda backfired a bit because I burned all three save slots in the evil area where I couldn't get out of the tower so I had basically trapped my own ass inside. But it all worked out for the best.

Unfortunately my friend Sara will have to do it the hard way. But I gave her as much of a heads up as I could about the horrors she would have to face. I'm sure she will be done in no time.

I guess I went on longer then I expected. Oh well I guess I was more awake then I thought.

K Out

No comments: